Thursday, August 20, 2009

In Memory Of Jax

March 2, 1998 - August 17, 2009I could post picture after picture of my sweet boxer boy, but I made myself stop going through them. We had over 11 years together so I have plenty of pictures and plenty of memories. I will try my best to get it all down so I will always remember.
It has been very hard every day coming home and not having him meet me at the door. It didn't matter how long or short of a time I was gone, he was always there to greet me with the same enthusiasm. He would spin in circles and make these happy sounds. It made me laugh. I loved it!
He was good at making me laugh. Here he is thinking his 85 lb. self could fit into a cat bed...and he squeezed himself in!!
My favorite things about Jax...what I will miss the most:
*The way he followed me everywhere I went...no matter how many trips back and forth it took.
*His love, loyalty and devotion...
*The way he would lick the air over and over when he was excited.
*How he greeted me with excitement every single time!
*His tolerance of the cats.
*How he used to run laps around the backyard and try to entice Rocky to give chase (never happened! ha!).
*How he loved everyone that came over.
*The pure joy on his face when he went for a car ride (which I tried to do for him often).
*How he had a guilty look when he did something bad.
*How he got embarrassed if he thought you were watching him use the bathroom (funny!).
*That he ate my poptart crusts every morning for me.
*I will always remember the day I caught him picking tomatoes off the vine!
*How he emptied the floor of my closet when a storm hit (and twice locked himself in the closet on accident!).
*I will even miss the toots that sounded like a tire deflating! ha!
He was...
my bathmat ~ always there waiting when I got out of the shower
my best friend ~ always there to comfort me
my shadow ~ everywhere I went two steps behind
my oppossum catcher ~ in his younger days
my baby boy ~ he got to take the place of having human kids
my protector ~ he even slept in the bed when I was scared
my companion, my puppy, my very bestest friend
Jax was with me through the lonely years of my first marriage...he was with me through my divorce...he was my constant...the one who never let me down...he helped me through losing Rocky...he gave me comfort during Kevin's drinking and leaving for John 3:16...Jax and I have been through some stuff together. I could go on and on and never get it all out what this sweet boxer boy meant to me. He was WAY more than just a dog...he was a family member.
He was about the age he is in the picture above (about 3) when he got first got busted getting on the furniture. I had left to go get some take-out (imagine that) and when I got home, I guess he thought I'd be gone longer...he peeked over the back of the couch at me with that guilty look. Ha! I, of course, spoiled him rotten and loved it. So, from then on, he was on the couch with me...much to the disappointment of the cats!
Here he is when we went through our fat stage...oops! He was over 100 lbs. then...but we got the weight off with a little exercise and food reduction!
Wasn't he gorgeous though?
My best friend closed his eyes last night,
As his head was in my hand.
The Doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.
The thoughts that scurried through my head,
As I cradled him in my arms.
Were of his younger, puppy years,
And OH...his many charms.
Today, there was no gentle nudge
With an intense "I love you gaze",
Only a heart thats filled with tears
Remembering our joy filled days.
But an Angel just appeared to me,
he said, "You should cry no more,
GOD also loves our canine friends,
HE's installed a 'doggy-door"!
jan cooper '95

9 comments:

Tasha said...

Lori I am so sorry for your loss. You were a good mama to your baby! ((hugs)) to you.

Queen E said...

Lori, nothing can take the pain away you are feeling right now... but I am praying for you and just now Jax is pain free and living it up like he did in his puppy days...

Sandy said...

Beautiful tribute, Lori. I know how much Jax meant to you. He was an awesome dog. One of my favorite memories of Jax was the last time Kayce and I kept him at your house. Kayce insisted on sleeping on the side of the bed that Jax was sleeping beside (I think Jax told her to). Then, when he started tooting, she wanted to trade sides with me. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that Jacob is telling everyone he knows to "pray for his aunt Lori".

Laura said...

What a beautiful tribute for Jax! That definitely honored his life and existence. He will forever be in our hearts!

Becca B. said...

Lori, You really gave beautiful words to the special bond you shared with Jax! I am so sorry he is gone, but so thankful for the amazing role he played in your life for so many years. Prayers still coming your way.

Vader's Mom said...

More hugs and prayers. My heart breaks for you. Jax loved you dearly and your post was wonderful.

Lindsey said...

He was an AWESOME fur baby and companion! Your words are beautiful and sweet!!

RoozGal said...

I'm officially crying now. This has to be tough for you. I'm sorry I've been so long in reading/posting. I hope the texts and facebook messages make up for my absence. You know you've been on my mind and in my heart and prayers. Jax was a special dog. He was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have him. RIP Jax.