Monday, November 30, 2009

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson

*Book #16 in my New Year's Resolution to read more!

My thoughts: This is not the typical James Patterson book, nor is it an Alex Cross novel. I thought I was about to start the next Alex Cross novel (which are my favorites!!), but this book is written as if it were Alex Cross telling a family story. I had a hard time at first because of the gruesomeness of the lynchings. It also makes me extremely ashamed of white people when I read about how they treated the African Americans back in those days. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stomach the book at first. But, I was soon sucked in and couldn't put it down. This isn't a mystery of sorts, but a great story of bravery and courage. I think it took me 3 days to read it and that was with family Turkey day in between! I would label this a must-read!

From the jacket: From his grandmother, Alex Cross has heard the story of is great-uncle Abraham and his struggles for survival in the era of the Ku Klux Klan. Now Alex passes the family tale along to his own children in a novel he's written - Trial.
As a lawyer in Washington DC, early in the 1900's, Ben Corbett represents the toughest cases. Fighting against oppression and racism, he risks his family and his life in the process. When President Roosevelt asks Ben to return to his hometown to investigate rumors of the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan there, he cannot refuse. When he arrives in Eudora, Mississippi, Ben meets the wise Abraham Cross and his beautiful daughter, Moody. Ben enlists their help, and the two Crosses introduce him to the hidden side of the idyllic southern town. Lynchings have become commonplace, and residents of the black quarter live in constant fear. Ben aims to break the reign of terror - but the truth of who is really behind it could break his heart.

1 comment:

RoozGal said...

You really should join goodreads.com or librarything.com and keep track of what you're reading....you'd love it! ..and I'm there so that's an added bonus! LOL