Monday, March 15, 2010

Kevin's Testimony

In honor of today being the one year anniversary of Kevin's graduation from John 3:16 Ministries, I am posting his testimony that he wrote this weekend for the Ministries newsletter. We will forever support John 3:16 Ministries for putting our relationship back together and bringing us both closer to God.
From Kevin:
I remember being fascinated by alcohol at an early age. I grew up in a Christian home and alcohol was never around. At business functions, or parties, it always seemed like the drinkers were the ones having all the fun, and I wondered why my parents didn’t want to be a part of it. I suppose I thought of it as the forbidden fruit.
I had my first drink in the 6th grade, and began drinking most weekends by the 9th. Throughout High School I was drinking pretty regularly, but you would have never known it. I was the “all-American” boy. I played sports, was an honor student and attended church every time the doors were open. I was a kid that parents wanted their daughters to date. From the outside, no one could have ever suspected the turmoil my life was headed into.
During college, I became a 7 day-a-week drinker. It helped me relax in certain social settings, and I felt I needed it to talk to girls. My life revolved around fraternity, bars, sporting events, and booze. For a while after college I was able to keep good jobs, but eventually my work started slipping, and I lost a couple jobs to what I would later realize were addictive behaviors. But I was smart. I just needed to do something I loved for a living. So I opened a bar and grill. 2 years later, I was broke, divorced, and entering my 2nd alcohol rehabilitation center.
That’s when Lori came into the picture. She and I grew up in a small church together in Newport. We even dated in High School. She was my first love. We stayed close friends in college and kept in contact up until the last few years while I had been in my addiction. We fell in love and talked of marriage and kids, but I was still drinking. She began to learn all my tricks. I started getting caught and my drinking was tearing us apart. Finally, in September 2008, I got my second DWI while driving company vehicle. I lost my job & Lori that night. Once again, I was broke, drunk, and nowhere to go.
That next day we found John 3:16, and I visited that next Sunday. That first Sunday I was a wreck. I don’t remember much about the service, just that the Holy Spirit was calling back. I gave my will and my life that day to Jesus Christ. During my 6 months at John 3:16, I took to heart all the things I had learned as a boy, but never applied. I have made life-long Christian friends. I learned what it meant to have a savior and Lord of my Life. Most importantly, I learned how to live victoriously through Christ, and I owe it to Him to help this ministry in any way possible.
Jesus used John 3:16 to heal my body, mind, and my soul, but I am not the only person who received healing from John 3:16. Lori saw a change in me that she knew was real. She began growing in her faith and just like me has renewed her salvation in Jesus. Friends and neighbors have drawn faith in Jesus as a result of the changes He’s made in my life. Even my parents have drawn closer to the Lord as a result of my time at the ministry. That’s what John 3:16 Ministries does. They take the sick & hurting family and give them a Father, Husband, and Son full of peace and hope in Jesus. John 3:16 Ministries is called “A Spiritual Boot camp for Men with Addictions,” but it’s also a place of hope and healing for families in need.
I graduated from John 3:16 March 15, 2009. Lori and I were married 4 days later under the crosses. We have such a wonderful relationship. One I could have never imagined between a man and a woman before I allowed God to work in my life. We have started a catering business and hope to start a family soon. We are blessed every single day. We also make mistakes every day, but we’ve learned to repent and move forward in our walk with Christ.
My story is pretty typical. It’s only unique because it is mine. Every time a man comes to John 3:16 and submits to the perfect will of God, another success story is written. I was tired and hurting. I was beaten down with nowhere to turn. John 3:16 Ministries showed me the cure.
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and all of God's people said "AMEN"!

Anonymous said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes Kevin. I am so proud of you, and of you Lori, for sharing of yourselves with us and with each other so freely. I have known you both since childhood and I am sooo in "awe" of you now! God Bless you both! You both deserve to be as happy as you are now and more!
Misty Hunter Bryson

Becca B. said...

I know the story, have heard it from Kevin's mouth to my own ears before, and yet reading it has still filled my eyes with tears, and my heart with joy! You guys are both such amazing blessings, and I count it an honor to call you my friends.