Sunday, July 25, 2010

Humbled Hearts

This morning Kevin and I were blessed to be able to join a group from the church to go and feed the homeless. Kevin smoked 13 boston butts to prepare to feed around 250 people. That number really surprised me. I know there are homeless people out there but I don't think about it being that many! I have always wanted to get involved with feeding the homeless. But, I admit that while I have always wanted to be involved in this ministry, I pictured going to a shelter and dishing up warm food and them being able to sit at tables to eat. You know, like on tv! But today, we weren't at a homeless shelter. We were outside - under the bridge where they live. I really had to soak it all in. The men lying on cardboard boxes. The baskets and backpacks full of all their belongings. The men carrying their blankets to lay on. The gratefulness for a bottle of water. The long, long line of people with no where to be but to wait on the hot food they were being given. Men, women and families sitting on the ground and happy for the meal. Watching people get second and third sandwiches and storing them in their backpacks for later. And, being in awe of the faith. They have nothing except what is on their backs, but they are still praising Jesus! You can't help but leave something like that and be grateful for all the blessings that you have. We realize how blessed we are and we are grateful for the chance to serve today. Today was my first experience feeding the homeless but it won't be my last!
Each of us should look not only to our own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:4

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

AWEsome!

Becca B. said...

Sounds like a really moving/humbling experience...really helps you put things in perspective.