Saturday, May 28, 2011

My thoughts on the matter

In the recent news in our area, a popular radio host was arrested for DWI and leaving the scene and other charges. Back in the fall, he collapsed on-air and then came out and did an interview in which he was very candid about his alcoholism and the fact that he was trying to clean up his act. My heart breaks for him and his wife and what they are going through. I can't imagine going through all that in the public eye and being on the news and in the papers. It is hard enough when you go through it privately with family and friends. It brings up a lot of memories for me that aren't good ones. We are going on 3 years since Kevin's DWI that sent him to rock bottom. It is sad to me that alcoholics have to keep going on that downward spiral until they have lost everything and everyone before they look up. Even with all my years of experience now in dealing with alcoholism, I don't think I will ever be able to wrap my head around it. Sometimes you just want to shake them!!
About a month ago, we tried to help out one of Kevin's friends by letting him stay here for the weekends and work for us. He is a good guy that we grew up with and is a graduate of John 3:16 Ministries too. He had been struggling since he got out and didn't have a job yet. Well, he showed up at our house drunk. And, I honestly don't know HOW he made it here without killing someone. He doesn't remember getting here. Said he just listened to his GPS and did what it said. It was a mess. We gave him another chance and we both had heart-to-heart talks with him at different times while he was here. The thing about alcoholics is they KNOW. They KNOW what you are telling them is the right thing, but they can't follow through. Either that, or they just tell you what you want to hear and then turn around and do what they want anyway. I don't know. Like I said, I'll never fully understand this disease. Our help did zero good. He was arrested the next morning driving back home for his third DWI.
I CANNOT STAND the drinking and driving!!! Be mad at them for that FOR SURE! If you want to hurt yourself, fine. But, don't drag innocent lives into it. I will never take up for drinking and driving. But, I will ask you not to judge the alcoholic. They are people just like me and you. They make mistakes. We all do. No one is perfect. I wish I could tell you that life has been perfect in the two years since Kevin has been home from the Ministry, but it hasn't. Kevin has slipped up and made the wrong choice. We aren't perfect and certainly never claim to be. I can tell you this - every time he has taken the wrong path, there has been tremendous stress in our lives and he turned to the bottle instead of his Bible. I just wish everyone could see WHO to lean on in tough times and WHERE the answers are. It isn't easy being an alcoholic. It isn't easy being an alcoholic's wife. I am praying for the radio host and his wife. I can relate to what they are feeling right now. I am praying for John and Kevin and all the graduates of John 3:16 Ministries. No matter what anyone tells you, it is a daily choice and a daily struggle for the alcoholic. And if they get up and decide to follow God's word, well, they decided that day to make the right choice and not fight the battle alone. Don't judge them until you've walked in their shoes. Just pray for them.

No comments: