Saturday, September 10, 2011

Infertility 101

**If you don't like too much information, then don't read! This is our journal of how we expand our family. And, the infertility blogs I have read that tell it like it is are most helpful. So, if you don't want to know "girl" stuff, then log off! You've been warned!**
I will do my best to explain our doctor appointment this week and what our next steps are but keep in mind that we left with a lot of information and a lot of "if this, then this" scenarios. So our heads were spinning when we left! Let me start off with the good stuff, then I will get to the stuff that concerned me.
First, insurance covered 80% of the visit! Yay! And, it will continue to cover 80% until we are officially labeled with the infertility label. So, all the screening and testing will be covered by insurance. One of the first things he told us was that due to our age of 38 and that we had been unsuccessful for 2 1/2 years, he was going to be very aggressive in our treatment. Basically, after 35, all the numbers start dropping more each year. Number of eggs produced. Percentage of getting pregnant. And, we all know the likelihood of a downs baby increases the older you get. The first area of concern are the cysts he found on one of my ovaries during the ultrasound. Here is the first of the "if then" cases. I have to go back on day 3 of my cycle for another ultrasound and testing. If the cysts turn out to be "good" cysts (apparently we create functional cysts every month...who knew?), then no worries. We proceed. However, if they aren't functional cysts, then priority number 1 is removal of the cysts. I will get to have surgery. Joy! And, of course, very worst case is cancer and removal of the ovary! Seriously, he takes you from best case functional cyst to worst case. No question left unanswered. Except that SO many are answered, you can't possibly remember it all! ha!
He is looking at Kevin's samples again. The part that concerns me here is that the sample he was looking at, made it seem to him that IVF (in vitro fertilization) would be the route to take rather than IUI (artificial insemination). BIG cost difference here! But, with the count he was looking at, he gave a 20% success rate with IUI at our age and a 40% of success with IVF at our age. Not sure the exact cost of IUI, but IVF runs $12,000 to $15,000. Wow...with a 40% chance of success. Makes you go hmmmm? I was all prepared to try the artificial insemination but I'm not sure how I feel about IVF. I have time to think about it though. One step (month) at a time.
Basically, when he saw the cysts, that became priority #1. So, I go back on day 3 of my cycle for them to re-evaluate those AND to have some additional tests done. After that, we see what step 2 is going to be.
If you see our name in the paper filing for bankruptcy shortly after our child is born, don't judge! :)
More to come after the next appointment...keep those baby prayers coming!

No comments: