Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book vs. Movie

My final book for 2011 was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. And, I can sum that up by saying it is easily the best book I have read in a long time!! I was sitting here trying to figure out which was my favorite character, and it's tough. You just fall in love with more than one and for more than one reason. I admire Miss Skeeter and found myself wondering which character would I have been most like had I grown up during the 60's. I can only hope I would have been like Miss Skeeter and not followed the crowd and realized that the separation between white's and black's was wrong. I loved the sass of Minnie and the warmth of Aibileen. And, then the one you love to hate, of course, is Miss Hilly. For New Year's Eve, we watched the movie, and it followed the book really, really well. There were minor differences because the movie would have just been too long to leave every detail in. The only thing that would be sad about just watching the movie and skipping the book is that you wouldn't get the full character development. You miss the feeling of anxiousness over them getting caught meeting and the inner thoughts of the characters. If you don't read anything else this year, read The Help and then treat yourself to the movie. But if you just can't make yourself sit down and read a book, then definitely watch the movie! You won't regret it!

No comments: