Saturday, March 16, 2013

Trust in the Lord with all your heart...

This is a story that I just can't keep to myself!!  You just can't make this stuff up! So, sit back and get ready to see how God works. :) 
I have to give you a little background first.  You all know that Kevin has his own small catering business, and I am a teacher.  Then, we both have little side jobs. (I tutor, and he works at a golf course.)  We pretty much live paycheck to paycheck, but we always have what we need.  Well, since Christmas season ended, Kevin's business has been sloooowww.  Painfully slow.  I learned a lesson that it doesn't take long when you live paycheck to paycheck for things to go south financially!!  In February, the business couldn't cover its bills, so I was left to try to cover our regular household bills and the business bills.  Ouch!  We have sank our savings into the business, so there was nowhere else to turn.  It got pretty dicey to say the least lately.  Some examples?  I had to use my birthday money to pay business expenses. (at least we had it) We have not had an oven since January, because we didn't have money to fix it. (Thank God for the church kitchen!) Our cable got shut off. (It was the lowest priority.) But, the day I lost it was when I was holding out for payday for gas and ran out of gas. I just needed one more day! We truly didn't have two nickels to rub together.  There are a few more stories like those, but I'm sure you get the picture.  And, I know there are those of you that GET it, because you've been there.  And, those that have never had to stretch $20 to buy a week's worth of groceries.  I honestly wouldn't wish the stress on my worst enemy.  It's a heavy weight to carry around.  Fast forward to last Sunday and Kevin is getting re-baptized.  His parents and sister come to watch him rededicate his life.  It's a big day.  I have my tithe check in my purse, and when it is time to give our tithe's and offerings, I drop it in the offering plate and say a silent prayer that God would please cover our needs for the rest of the week.  I knew that tithing was going to leave us with $20 for the week. I also knew I needed gas in my car and the pup was running dangerously low on dog food.  I knew I wouldn't be able to do both.  But, I put my faith in God to take care of what we needed.  It was all I could do.  That's the thing about being at the bottom, you have no where to look but up! :)  As we were walking out of church to celebrate Kevin's baptism, our preacher came over and put a card in my Bible.  I didn't think too much about it.  I thought it was a card for Kevin.  After we had lunch with his parents and sister, I remembered the card and got it out of my Bible.  When we opened it, it was full of $100 bills!  We had both been so stressed for months it seems that we both just sat and cried.  Bawled.  It was relief.  It was humbling.  It was unbelievable!  You know you are "poor" when the first thing you do is go get gas for your cars and go to the grocery store. :)  The amazing part is the amount was exactly how much behind the business was with its books.  God is amazing!  We were pretty much humbled the rest of the day.  So many emotions.  It is hard to put into words.  Then, later that night, as the day was winding down, someone rang our doorbell.  Kevin went to answer, but no one was there.  He walked out and looked around the corner and saw someone jump into a car but has no idea who it was.  Whoever it was left a bag on our doorstep that said "Praise God from whom all blessings flow", and it had more money in it.  I had no words.  I had tears and laughter.  Number one, I am thinking God is so good.  He has blessed us abundantly.  He has already given more than we deserve.  Number two, I have been on the giving end before and I know how much fun it is to give to someone who really needs it, so I am thinking at this point, someone out there is really having fun doing God's work.  The blessings continued into the next day...a check we had been waiting on desperately from a previous catering finally arrived.  Our accountant waived his fee for doing our taxes this year.  The blessings are there everyday if we just take the time to look for them.
I share this story because when things like this happen, God doesn't want us to keep quiet.  It would be easy not to tell the story out of embarrassment for our money situation.  But that would be letting the devil win.  Instead, I choose to Praise Jesus as loudly as I can!!!  The devil had been working on me about tithing lately.  But, just when I needed it most, the preacher gave a message on obedience a few weeks ago.  I knew it was the right thing to do no matter how little we had.  We wouldn't even have that "little" without Him.   James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
I share this story mainly to show God's love.  To show Faith.  With everything we have, we have to trust in God and He will take care of us.  Trust.  He will never disappoint.
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

No comments: