Thursday, July 25, 2013

New Chapter

In exactly two weeks, I start my new job!!  I am excited and terrified at the same time!!  A new school year is approaching and I honestly have no idea what to expect.  For the first time in 16 years, I will not get a new group of students on the first day of school.  I will get to teach the entire school!!  How am I going to learn over 400 names?!? 
This latest journey started for me sometime back in March.  The librarian at the school where I began my teaching career emailed to let me know she was retiring.  She was my mentor when I started the library program and helped me with a few projects while working on my masters degree.  She was also the one who nominated me for my first teacher of the year award.  She had been threatening to retire for a few years and I had not really thought about it.  I was content in my 4th grade classroom.  (Remember, last year I moved schools and the year before that I switched graded levels - moved classrooms.  I was really hoping to stay put for a bit!!! Ha!)  God had other plans.
After my initial panic when I read her email - What to do?  Did I want to try for the job?  Was I ready?  Could I give up having my own classroom?  Did I want to go back to my first school in the projects?  Could I do it?  Well, to make an almost 4 month long drama short, I asked for a professional day to go and spend the day with the librarian during a regular school day.  After spending the day there, I felt like I had my answer.  I could do it.  I would be welcomed back and kids are kids no matter where you are.  It was settled.  Once again, I was possibly moving schools.  I spent over a month getting my resume and portfolio together.  Waiting FOREVER it seemed like for the job to post (2 months).  Once it posted, I applied and after a week, I had my interview.  I hate interviews!!  So nerve-wracking!  I had to present a technology presentation, which helped loosen me up for the rest of the interview.  After almost 2 hours, I was done.  It was all in God's hands.  I had been praying for months for clear direction and for Him to please open the door if it was His plan and close it if it wasn't.  It took nearly two weeks for the call back.  Apparently, it was narrowed down to me and two other candidates.  I had no experience was my negative.  BUT, in the end, I got the job!!!  
So, two weeks from today, I will not walk into a classroom.  I will walk into a library.  It will be mine.  I will officially put all my hard work from my masters degree to use and become an elementary school librarian.   I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.  I KNOW how to get ready for the school year as a classroom teacher.  What do I do to get ready as a librarian???  I go back two days earlier than the classroom teachers and I don't know what to do! LOL!  It's going to be a learning year FOR SURE!  A big thanks to all my prayer warriors on this journey.  Keep praying and think about volunteering!  The book fair is in September!  ;)

1 comment: