Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

19
This book came out 10 years ago, so you may have already read it.  It was another one that I picked up on a whim because I kept seeing it everywhere and thought I'd give it a chance.  Oh MY!  A great read!!  Not what I typically read, but then, I don't think I have a "typical" genre anymore.  My taste in books has definitely broadened over the past few years.  I highly recommend this book.  It has changed the way I look at Afghanistan.

Summary:
The Kite Runner of Khaled Hosseini's deeply moving fiction debut is an illiterate Afghan boy with an uncanny instinct for predicting exactly where a downed kite will land. Growing up in the city of Kabul in the early 1970s, Hassan was narrator Amir's closest friend even though the loyal 11-year-old with "a face like a Chinese doll" was the son of Amir's father's servant and a member of Afghanistan's despised Hazara minority. But in 1975, on the day of Kabul's annual kite-fighting tournament, something unspeakable happened between the two boys.

No comments: