Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reflections of 2013

Another year gone.  Time sure does fly.  I see that more clearly every time I look at my niece and see what a beautiful woman she is turning into when in reality, it sure seems like she should be toddling around playing with baby dolls!!  
As I look back over this year, I think, wow!  It was definitely better than the year prior!  2012 will just forever be known as the year of Benson depression, and honestly 2013 started off rough, but finished strong.  We had some extreme lows this year, but we had way more ups than downs.  You know the saying that you don't know what goes on behind closed doors.  Well, our lows included being so broke at one point that we couldn't cover our bills.  I have never been in that position before.  It was early in the year when business is typically slow, but it started piling up and once it piles up, it is hard to recover.  But, we kept tithing and put our faith in God and He provided.  We also hit probably our lowest point in our marriage so far this year.  At one point, I honestly didn't think our marriage was going to survive.  We even went our separate ways for a weekend to "think" about things.  I truly believe we were just a little lost on where to go from here.  We were struggling with what our life was supposed to look like without kids.  What was our purpose?  In the end, we knew we were meant to fight for our marriage.  Divorce wasn't in God's plan for us.  So, we prayed.  We healed.  We served.  Ultimately, our marriage is stronger today for it.  We climbed out of all those valleys early in the year of 2013 to find many blessings waiting on the other side.  We had a blast watching my students play Terry Tiger basketball, we volunteered with Upward at church, Kevin was baptised again, I got a new job as a librarian using my masters degree, we bought our dream new camper, ended the year with record business sales, started a ministry feeding the homeless, and both turned 40!!  Our camper was our 40th birthday present to each other, and it has been a great "get away" for us.  I love nothing more than piling the dogs up and going camping.  
It's sometimes hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's always there.  When we keep our focus on God, we can't stay down for long.  I know we have more trials ahead, but I know where to put my trust and faith and it will all be as God planned.  Join us for the ride in 2014? :)

"Your life was meant to be a great story.  Easy lives don't make great stories." -Beth Moore

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
 John 16:33
 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Proverbs 3:5-6
 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

No comments: