Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Half full or half empty?

This came up in Sunday School a few weeks ago.  That life sometimes throws so much at us at once that we may feel down about things and look at our glass as half empty rather than half full and miss the blessings that surround us.  We have had a lot of stuff come at us lately.  Issues involving family, our marriage, and finances  and I really feel like once Kevin said yes to going on the Mission trip was when the devil attacked our house. Honestly, put into perspective, it's a lot of little things compared to some people's problems, but the devil has a way of getting a hold of our minds and convincing us that we need to add those things up and dwell on them and just generally get us down.  When we do that, we let him win because no one can see our joy. And, I admit that a few times in the past month I have let the devil win.  But, there are SO many things we can do to put on our armor and fight daily.  I like to keep a devotional in my car and the last thing I do before I go into work each day is read my devotional.  I also keep the car radio on KLove (Christian music station), but most importantly, we have to spend time in the Bible and prayer daily.  I only say this - not to preach - but to share that through some really rough times in the past few weeks, when I would wake up in the middle of the night, I would find that a song would be stuck in my head.  And, since my car radio is always on Klove, it was a Jesus song.  Sometimes I would just cry as I feel back asleep because I truly felt it was God's way of saying, "I am with you."  That may sound strange to some, but it gave me a peace in the middle of chaos and stress.

A few verses that may help when your glass feels half empty:
Galations 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Proverbs 24:10 "If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength!" (Don't give up! God is with you!)
Matthew 6:34 "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own." (a personal favorite)
John 14:1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God; believe also in me."
John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"
Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Psalm 9:9 "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble."
Psalm 34:19 "The righteous person may have troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all."
Psalm 37:39 "The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; he is their stronghold in time of trouble." 
Romans 8:38 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."
 

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

What a great post!!! Thank you :)