Thursday, March 13, 2014

Seuss Fun Day!!

 This post is about a week late but I have been a busy girl!!  I haven't even READ in a week!  I'm about to go nuts!!  Last Monday was supposed to be Read Across America Day (aka Dr. Seuss's birthday).  I had it all set up with volunteers in place to hand out books with each grade level having a reception in the library, guest readers, crazy hat day for the kids, a door decorating contest for the teachers...and you guessed it.  ICE DAY.  No school.  All my volunteers had to cancel!  All but 5 and I had 21 rooms to cover.  Drop back and punt.  Plan B.  Rounded up new readers and almost had Tuesday covered.  Day 2 of No school announced.  Plan C.
 I had friends, church friends, business acquaintances, my hubby, my principal, and my media clerk all step up and volunteer to read.  Whew!  Every classroom had a reader.  I had to cancel the reception, because the sorority that donated 500 books to the school had to cancel. :(  So, the Cat in the Hat and her assistant, Big Bear went to every room delivering new books to happy boys and girls! :)
 The day was SAVED and the kids were happy all because of GREAT volunteers who took a few minutes out of their busy day to be a blessing to a child. :)
 My church crew below had originally signed up to read to one class but once Plan C took place, they stepped up and offered to read to two classes each to help out.  THANK YOU!!
 I couldn't believe it, but almost everyone decorated their door and they looked AWESOME!!!  The one below was my favorite.  Shhh!  Don't tell!  Luckily I wasn't a judge, because it would have been TOUGH!  This is just a sampling!

 And the winner:
The teacher won a goody basket and the kids got Seuss hat cookies, Grinch juice (Sprite with food coloring) & goldfish (for one fish, two fish...)
A fun day, but an exhausting day!  Totally worth it for the kids though!

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I'm glad it worked out for you and the kids!