Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Top 10 Books of 2014

#10) Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver - dystopia society series for young adults - took a bit to get going in the first book but then finished strong and is a good trilogy worth reading.

 #9) House of Sand & Fog by Andre Dubus III -mystery/suspense/edge of seat type book and is apparently a movie

 #8) I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - this is the author of The Book Thief, but this book is completely different.  It's a fun book with twists and a message for all of us.
 #7) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I wasn't sure I was going to like this series, and I am only on the second book now but I find myself thinking about the characters even when I'm not reading. 
 #6) Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (books 1 through 6 on my list were hard to put in order because I LOVED them all!!)  This is historical fiction and really, really good.
 #5) A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - author of The Kite Runner.  In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this author.  I loved all three of his books.
 #4) Serena by Ron Rash - strong lead character in this one that you will love to hate.  It has now been made into a movie also but I haven't seen the movie.  GREAT book!
 #3) Orphan Train by Christina Kline - picked this one up just by the intriguing cover while on a Barnes and Noble trip - best book I have ever randomly picked up - historical fiction & great story of a woman's life
 #2) The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - love, love, love this book and fell in love with the characters! 
 #1) Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - I put off reading this book for a long time because I don't usually do well with non-fiction, but this is by far the BEST book I read all year.  Amazing life story!!  You don't want to miss this one!  Movie came out Christmas day, but you need to read the book first.  Trust me!


**Best books for children I read this year were Wonder by R.J. Palacio & Found by Haddix :)

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

Great list!! I have several of those in my pile to read. I need to speed up :)