Thursday, June 4, 2015

Nerd Alert: Book Talk!



Just a little “happy” from your librarian!
I had a few people request this list and thought I’d share with everyone, because I know I have some readers here who will appreciate it!!! And, for most teachers, summer is the only time you get to read, so why waste time on a mediocre book?  Let me just share some REALLY, REALLY good ones with you!

My top 5 books I read last year:
1.     Unbroken by Hillenbrand (if you haven’t read it, you MUST!  So much more in the book than in the movie)
2.    The Kitchen House by Grissom (you will fall in love with some of the characters in this one)
3.    Orphan Train by Kline (I had no idea these existed!)
4.    Serena by Ron Rash (has a lead character you will love to hate)
5.    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (great author)

My top 5 I have read so far this year:
1.     All the Light We Cannot See by Doerr (set in WWII – story of a blind French girl and a German boy)
2.    The Girl on the Train by Hawkins (what a ride!!  If you liked the roller coaster of Gone Girl, you will love this one!)
3.    The Nightingale by Hannah (another WWII era book – I think that time frame may be a favorite for me – this is French perspective)
4.    The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (set in the days of slavery – another one that you will fall in love with the characters)
5.    Wild by Cheryl Strayed (I have heard the movie doesn’t compare…I was amazed at the journey.)

For a fun, light read while you lay on the beach (wishful thinking) = Where’d You Go Bernadette by Semple

If you love dystopia society books like The Hunger Games and Divergent, then you MUST read these two series:  Unwind series by Neal Shusterman (4 books) and Legend trilogy by Marie Lu


Happy Reading!!
If you have a MUST read, please share!  I have two shelves of “to read” books waiting on me, but I love new books to add!

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

I know that was for me!! Thank you!