Saturday, January 16, 2016

Bye Bye Birdie :(


Well, Friday morning I went out to the barn to let my "little girls" out for the day and as soon as I turned on the light, I heard crowing! What?!?  NO!!!!!
Turns out Funky IS a rooster after all.  He was just a late bloomer with his crowing.  I had my concerns and so did Kevin, but since he wasn't crowing, we dismissed them.  Then, it was all over.  No roosters on the Benson farm, so we must find a new home for poor Funky. :(

I'm going to kind of miss that crazy head of feathers! LOL!  Maybe one day I can find a hen like this!!  So...the search for a rooster home begins again! 
In the meantime, my two little girls don't seem to mind at all.  They know they are safe!

So, out of 6 babies - one died early on and then there were 5...out of 5 only TWO were hens.  So, here it is in writing.  Kevin was right and I was wrong.  No more just buying chickens that aren't sexed.  I will only buy when I know I am getting hens.  The odds weren't in my favor. :(

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

That's a bummer about Funky - I was looking forward to see how looks changed as s/he aged. You gotta find me that matching hen!!