Monday, January 18, 2016

Farm Day in Pictures

 My day starts at 6:30 am - regardless of temperatures, weekend or vacation.  In the winter, donkeys need hay, and Jethro will wake me up with a bray like a siren if I am not out there.  So, this morning started like all others only it was 15 degrees!!!! Luckily, the donkeys wanted to eat in the barn this morning and not the shed, so I only had to walk to the barn right behind the house.
 
 It was spitting snow...so I was happy to feed in the barn.  I also made an executive decision that when snowing or temps are below 30, the morning feed will be in the barn.  I am NOT a morning person. :)
 Usually at 6:30, I also let out the little girls, feed the dogs and RubyRue and then leave for work.  
As SOON as I get home...and I mean, I don't even have time to run in and change clothes before Jethro is braying at me.  So, usually about 3:30 ish, the next round of chores start. (and I love it!)
 We walk down to the shed (the donkeys original home when we first brought them home) for the afternoon feed.  See it ... waaaay down at the other end.
 When I turn around, they are hot on my heels. :)
And now they are happy campers! :)
 You will also notice my buddy, Bubba Bear is never very far from me in all my chores.  He is always on duty as my personal sidekick and guard dog.  (and yes, that is a bush from my flowerbed in his mouth! But the donkeys dug it up, not him! LOL!)
About 4:15ish, it's time for the dogs to go inside so the chickens get a turn.
The ladies love to free range!!
 After they get out, it's time to go in the coop and see about food, water, and any clean up. And of course, collect eggs. 
Then, I get to check on the little girls (and Funky) and see about their water and give them treats.
Take a few minutes to relax with "the ladies"...
And today, while the ladies were out free ranging, I decided to start on the hay trough for the donkeys.  I want to make something for the shed to get the hay off the ground, so I grabbed some scrap lumber...
 Fired up the miter saw and the impact driver...
Then, I turned it over and thought, "I could stop right here and have a cool bench!"  So...for now, I left it.  I can't decide if I want to keep going and add little sides or leave it and have a bench.  LOL!
By this time, it's 5ish, which in donkeyland equals "GRAIN!"
 After grain and filling water buckets, it's time for the ladies to go back to their coop and run for the night. 
Gotta get a few more heated water buckets!!
After all those chores (I'm usually outside from the time I get home until dark or after), then I get to come inside warm up, eat a yummy dinner cooked by the Big Bear, read and relax.  Tonight we played domino's. I won! Both times! :)

 Before bed, I bundle up one more time and walk hay down to the shed.  And, make sure these two little girls are locked up in their coop safe and sound for the night.
 Throughout all these chores, I praise Jesus multiple times for the life he has given us.  I absolutely love every minute of it.  I love my farm chores...even in 20 degree temps!  Now, don't get me wrong, I love it MORE in the spring, but I know I can't get a good snow day unless it's cold! LOL!
"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals..." Proverbs 12:10

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

I love this post!! I'm so glad to see you happy and I adore hearing all about it!! Where does this leave your reading though?