Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Prisoner 88 by Leah Pileggi

4
What a surprising treat!  I usually make myself read books out of my elementary library and don't truly enjoy them, but I wish this one had lasted a little longer.  It was a short read - read it in a day.  But a good story based on a real 10 year boy who went to prison for manslaughter in the 1800's.  I can recommend for 4th and up in elementary and for middle school.

Summary:
Bricks on the floor, three stone walls, and that too-tight-wove metal door. A cage. I stood up and walked the length of my cage. Six not-angry steps long and then 'bout four wide.

What if you were ten years old and thrown into prison with hardened criminals? That's just what happens to Jake Oliver Evans. Inspired by a true account of a prisoner in the Idaho Territorial Penitentiary in 1885, Jake's story is as affecting as it is shocking.

Convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to five years, Jake is taken under the wing of a young guard and the kindly warden, as well as a few fellow prisoners. He is taught to read and given a job tending hogs at a nearby farm. In prison, Jake finds a home he has never had in a place most people are desperate to leave. But when he has to make a choice about right and wrong during an explosive escape attempt, Jake jeopardizes his friendships and his security.

Selected as one of the Notable Children's Books in the English Language Arts for 2014.

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

Oh wow - I've never heard of this and it sounds amazing!!