Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Home Sweet Home!

 This morning we got back from a 3 day escape of camping...I will save that for another post. :)  It was my first time to be away from the farm for 3 nights, and I was ready to come home. Two nights is enough of a break for me.  My banty's were due to start laying eggs any day now and I just knew I was going to miss that first egg.  Yes, I'm a geek like that! LOL!
And, then today...here it was!  She (wonder if it was Minnie or Cotton?) waited until I got home! :)  
It was so little and cute!
Kevin is not thrilled with my banty's or the small eggs, but I hear that they are really good!  Even better than the regular eggs.  We will see!
So, today was my first 7 egg day!  Woohoo!
It was also the first day to let the banty's free range with "the ladies".  After 2 1/2 weeks of being behind a wire cage while the big ladies free ranged and then a week of living side by side.  It was time.  It went pretty well.  There were a few "pecking order" squabbles.  But, they gotta work it out.  Mostly, Minnie and Cotton stuck together and "the ladies" stuck together and ignored each other.
I wish you could tell how much smaller they are than the big ladies...
We interrupt this post to bring you the daily dust bath!  The ladies don't free range while we are gone, so they were ready for a dust bath!  It cracks me up that they do it right behind the smoker! 


A dust bath is when chickens bury down in the dirt and kick dirt up all over themselves.  It helps prevent parasites and lice on them.  It's pretty funny to watch...here's a video:
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Vader's Mom said...

That's adorable - a dust bath. I've never heard of such. And OMG, please stop with the amazing animals!!! Too much, too much for my heart.