Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Flora & Ulysses The Illuminated Adventures by Kate Dicamillo

21
This is my library helper book club book for the month.  It's by the same author who wrote Because of Winn Dixie, which I love.  This book I do not love.  I actually feel bad that I made my library helpers endure it.  I'm just glad to be finished!  Skip it!

Here is another review I found on amazon.com that sums it up pretty perfect:
My 10 year old, 7 year old and I read Because of Winn-Dixie and absolutely fell in love with the story and went right to Amazon to purchase another story of the same author. We are three-quarters the way through this book and in my opinion, it can't be over soon enough. I have been reading it aloud at night to both kids and I have a searing headache after each night of reading. My daughter (7yo) old is bored with the story however my son (10yo) very much enjoys it. When he tries to take a turn to read aloud he gets frustrated easily and hands it back to me, but he enjoys it when it's read to him, so take that for what it's worth. The vocabulary is stacked, it's super fast paced and very choppy. Not charming, or even remotely pleasant and I have found it lacks tremendously warmth and depth of character. I suspect I am comparing apples to oranges, however due to the fabulous story that was "Because of Winn-Dixie" and the excellent reviews for "Flora & Ulysses" ... I just expected more.

No comments: