1. Level the ground under the tub. Make sure level from front to back and side to side. I used a pick axe and and "drew" a line around perimeter then dug out and moved dirt, then put tub back in the spot to see if I was level. Repeat until level all around.
2. After I was level, I put a bunch of rocks in the bottom that I found laying around. And, put two landscape bricks in the middle to build up a spot for the pump. At this point, I have spent zero dollars because this water trough has sat unused since we moved in. The donkeys refuse to drink out of it. :)
3. Fill with water. Periodically checking that you are staying level as you add water.
4. Let water sit for a few days to get chlorine out.
5. Add pond pump (about $100). Then, hide electrical wires. I used a log behind the tub and then ran the wire under the siding to the plug in. I will bury the line that goes across the dirt.
5. Add a few water plants (about $17). I got one tall one and one that floats on top and will spread. I put a tall block on one end of tub to make a shelf for the tall plant to sit on.
6. Add goldfish. I added 6 to see how it goes first. :) ($12)
And presto! A pond that required NO DIGGING!
Cost for me was only $130 because I used mostly things I already had going unused and put them to a new use. :)
And, those donkeys that refused to drink out of it before...well, you know what happened...of course they are drinking out of it now! LOL!
Here they are running off! Busted!
I did discover in my research for this that if you have the big horse/cattle water troughs, it is actually recommended to add goldfish to them to help keep algae down. Interesting...